Windows Memory Diagnostic is a utility for testing a computer’s RAM. The utility is free and comes with the Windows 7 and Windows 8 operating systems.
To run a RAM test:
- Click Start. In the search bar, type “mdsched” (no quotation marks) and press Enter.
- In the pop-up window, select Restart now and check for problems (recommended).
Before restarting your computer, save all important documents.
- Immediately after the reboot, the test will start (with standard parameters). Press F1 to change the necessary parameters. Use the up/down arrow keys to select the Extended option.
- In addition, you should disable the cache so that the utility accesses RAM directly. To do this, after selecting Extended, press the Tab key and select Off. Set the number of passes to at least 20: the more passes, the higher the probability of detecting errors. Press F10 to start the test. After it finishes, the PC will reboot automatically.
Please note that performing a memory check can take a while.
- Information about whether any errors are detected will appear on the screen after the operating system loads.